If you’ve been on the internet at all in the past year, you may have noticed a strange yellow drink showing up everywhere. I’m talking about the popular turmeric latte or golden milk latte.
What exactly is it you may wonder?
A turmeric latte is a great alternative to heavily caffeinated and sugared beverages. It combines the healing and anti-inflammatory properties of turmeric with non-dairy milk and spices that promote happy digestion and better sleep!
After discovering these delicious drinks myself, I quickly started to notice that all of the recipes I found online and at local cafes and restaurants around the city, all had added sugar.
So, I just knew I had to create my own recipe that used the natural sweetness of spices and vanilla instead!
Before you look at me like I’m crazy, give it a try and see for yourself!
The recipe below is the new and improved version that is in my Break Free From Sugar E-Cookbook. So, even if you already have the cookbook, give this new recipe a try and see which you like better.
If you haven’t already purchased your cookbook, come on over and get your copy of my Break Free From Sugar E-Cookbook!
Time: 10 minutes
Serves: 1 (approx. 2 cups)
- 2 cups homemade unsweetened almond or coconut milk – see recipe HERE
- 1 Tbsp coconut oil
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp fresh ginger, grated
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 3 cardamom pods, crushed or a pinch of ground cardamom
- A pinch of black pepper
- Combine all ingredients in a small saucepan and bring to a light boil. Whisk and simmer on low for 5 minutes.
- Using a fine mesh strainer, strain it into a blender or magic bullet.
- Blend on high for 1 minute.
- Pour into your favorite mug or mason jar and enjoy with a dash of cinnamon on top.
This drink is packed with flavor and healing properties. It’s the perfect solution if you’re feeling a sugar-craving coming on in the afternoon or before bed. You can even make a big batch in advance and simply reheat it as desired.
*Note* Turmeric stains everything. Don’t let this scare you away. Just be cautious when handling turmeric and maybe don’t wear your favorite white shirt and sit on your white couch when you’re enjoying it 😉
Love & Good Food,