Whether or not you’re ready, the seasons are changing.
The days are getting shorter and the air crisper. The leaves are changing from vibrant green to warm and beautiful shades of orange and yellow. There’s no denying it, Fall is upon us. The sooner we come to terms with it, the more we can look forward to the beautiful season that lies ahead.
I love fall.
I love the colors, the warm fires, the crisp air, and the abundance of squash and pumpkin overflowing in my kitchen.
Tis the season for anything pumpkin flavored. A word of caution as you enjoy pumpkin in every aspect of your life – not all is good for you. Take Starbucks’ pumpkin spiced latte for example, loaded with sugar and pumpkin flavored syrup. I prefer to stick to more natural uses around my house. Soups, smoothies, muffins, roasted side dishes, and tarts are great ways to include these vitamin and nutrient-rich vegetables into your diet without the excessive sugar or fake flavorings in most pre-packaged treats.
During the Fall and early Winter, our bodies are changing and adapting to keep us warm during the winter months. We move away from cooling, raw foods and crave more warming and cooked foods. Soups and stews are wonderful additions to the diet during these months and provide a bountiful amount of nutrients and fiber.
If you are just coming to terms with the end of summer and aren’t quite ready to jump full swing into everything pumpkin, this is a great soup to start easing you into the cooler temperatures of Fall.
This is one of my all time favorite Fall soups and I’m looking forward to welcoming it back into my kitchen this week.
The blend of butternut squash and carrot boasts plentiful amounts of vitamin A, C and B along with Magnesium and Potassium. Including ginger into this soup adds a bit of spice and warmth as well as aids in digestion. By adding the healthy fats of the coconut milk, you will find this soup to be very filling.
Calming Coconut Carrot Squash Soup
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 4 Cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 Tbsp fresh ginger, grated
- 1 Yellow onion, chopped
- 1 Medium butternut squash, peeled and cubed
- 6 Carrots, chopped
- 4 Cups low sodium vegetable broth
- 1 Can coconut milk
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- More protein: ½ cup red lentils
- More spice: 1 tsp curry powder & ½ tsp cayenne pepper
- Heat oil over medium heat in a large soup pot.
- Sauté garlic, onion, and ginger for 4 minutes.
- Add remainder of ingredients (except coconut milk) into the pot and bring to a boil.
- Once boiling, reduce heat and simmer on low, covered, for 15-20 minutes until carrots and squash are fork tender.
- Remove pot from heat and blend with an immersion blender until no chunks remain.
- Stir in the coconut milk until blended. Taste and season with salt & pepper.
- Garnish with a dollop of sour cream or plain yogurt and a dash of paprika.
- Go one step further and top with fresh roasted Tamari Almonds
Now, time to hit the kitchen and impress your family with this amazing meal! Enjoy!
Love & Warmth,