I’m just dying to share my newest kitchen creation with you today!
Beets are something I used to be scared of. Yup. Terrified. Over the years I’ve learned to enjoy them on my salads and even in smoothies!
I’m embarrassed to admit that before being inspired to re-create a salad my mother-in-law made for me, I’d never roasted beets before! Oh sure I’d tossed a few in with my mixed veggies that I’d roast in the oven, but I’d never gone out to roast the beat in its natural state.
Lifechangingly delicious! -yes that’s a word….
I had no idea that the simple process of roasting could bring out such sweet and explosive flavors.
Aside from the fact that beets are my favorite color, they are also now my favorite vegetable to eat.
They are PACKED with nutrition: folate, manganese, potassium, vitamin c, iron, fiber, antioxidants, and vital phytonutrients that encourage the detoxification of the liver. Not to mention that beet greens are also loaded with amazing nutrients and can be easily added to soups or smoothies in place of other leafy greens. This is why beets are such a great addition to any detox plan!
The walnuts and feta in this salad add a nice protein kick just for good measure.
*Beet warned… your pee might be much more fun to look at after this salad!
Cook time: 45-60 minutes
• 6 medium beets, unpeeled
• 1 Tbsp coconut oil
• 1 C raw walnuts
• 2/3 C feta
• 2 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
• 3 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
• Fresh parsley for serving- optional
1. Heat oven to 375 degrees F.
2. Coat the beets lightly with coconut oil and wrap them individually in aluminum foil. Place on a baking sheet and roast them in the oven until fork tender (approx. 45 min).
3. Remove from the oven and let cool for 10 minutes. Peel the skins and rinse the beets. Chop into bite sized squares and set aside in a bowl.
4. While the beets are roasting, lightly toast the walnuts in the same oven or in a skillet over medium heat on the stove. Make sure not to burn them.
5. Toss the apple cider vinegar and lemon juice with the beets until well mixed. Fold in the walnuts and feta.
6. Serve cold with a sprinkle of fresh parsley. Cover any leftovers and store in the fridge for up to 4 days.
This one is a must add to your meal plan next week!
Don’t forget to come on over to the free goodies section on my website and check out my other delicious recipes and resources there for you!
Love & Beets,
P.S. Have you been having a little too much fun this summer? Drinks, ice cream, more drinks, and layzing at the beach… oh the joys of summer!
Stay tuned for my upcoming FREE detox challenge that will help you get back to feeling light and energized in no time! I’ll be sending all the information to those on my newsletter list soon. If you’re not already on my list, enter your name and email right over here on this page ——->