I can’t wait to share my newest creation with you!
It’s not always an easy feat to bake without sugar, but it’s not impossible! I wanted to create something holiday themed and these Cranberry Orange Scones are just the thing.
These scones are made with whole wheat flour and NO SUGAR! If you are planning to make treats this holiday to bring to your next party, these are the thing!
Baking with whole wheat and sprouted flours allow your body to digest the natural carbohydrates slower than using non-nutritional white flour. The spike in blood sugars will be a lot slower and your body will be much more efficient at digesting the nutrients.
If you want even more delicious sugar-free recipes, come on over and get your copy of my Break Free From Sugar E-Cookbook just in time for all your Christmas cooking.
Sugar-Free Cranberry Orange Scones
Time: 30-40 minutes
Serves: 8 scones
- 2 C whole wheat flour
- 2 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 3 tsp cinnamon
- Zest of 1 organic orange
- 1/2 cup salted butter, frozen
- 2 ripe bananas, mashed
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1 egg
- 1 cup frozen cranberries
- Preheat oven to 400°F (204°C). Adjust baking rack to the middle-low position. Lightly dust a baking sheet with flour.
- In a large bowl, whisk the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, and zest. Grate in the frozen butter. Toss the grated butter into the flour mixture and combine it with a pastry cutter, a fork, or your fingers until the mixture resembles coarse meal. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk the cream, egg, and vanilla together. Drizzle it over the flour mixture and then toss the mixture together with a rubber spatula until everything appears moistened. Slowly and gently fold in the cranberries. Work the dough into a ball with floured hands and transfer to a floured surface. Press into a neat 8″ disc and cut into 8 equal wedges with a very sharp knife.
- Place scones at least 2 inches apart on the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until lightly golden and cooked through. Remove from the oven and allow to cool.
- Scones are best enjoyed fresh but can also be stored for up to 3 days in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks in the freezer.
Love & Sugar Freedom,